Recipe for Mocha Cake…”Mocha” is the term used for chocolate flavor. Caffé Mocha (also called Moccachino) is a variant of coffee made of espresso and hot milk with added chocolate. The chocolate used may be in the form of sweet cocoa powder or and can either be dark or milk chocolate.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, coffee and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 14-16 servings.